Heart of Obsidian by Nalini Singh


So firstly, I'd like to share with you my very first review. About one of my favorite books of all time from one of my favorite series from one of my favorite authors.


For starters, THIS is the book.
   The book we've all been waiting for for ages.
   The book that showed us something we haven't even expected.
   The book that changes not only the life in the series, but even ours, Nalini fans' as well.
   The book that I can't describe with mere words. It was so fantastic.

(Because I would never want to spoil anybody, not even by chance, I'd rather hide this from now on.)

<spoiler> 
So, about the story. I think it actually tells enough if I say that I've never written a review before, so this book was THAT good that I broke my Silence *cough cough NOT deliberately said that... cough*   I actually needed time before I  could write about it.

When I started to read this, I had my doubts about it. I was really excited about the hero and wondered where this will be going, but I just didn't know how it would play out. A Psy/Psy pairing? With such a Silent, cold man like Kaleb Krychek? And, as the first chapters showed, such a problematic, wounded woman (who was actually my guess)? How?
But I should have known better.
Nalini not only did not let down (as she never does), but could actually brought out one of the most romantic, heart-breaking, fantastic couple I have ever read about. Really.
Maybe it was because their mutual past, those long years from their childhood, maybe it was because I haven't expected it, I don't know. The point is, they've almost made me break my bigamist love-life with a lot of other characters and books from the series.

As for the hero: I have to say that firstly I didn't really understood why everybody found Kaleb so interesting. But as he appeared from time to time in the previous books, I started to get it. He was so mysterious and 'coldly hot' that by ToN I was more interested in him than any other side-characters. And then he found what he was looking for...

The heroine: I thought a lot about Sahara since Visions of Heat. Then Nalini mentioned her big role, and I suddenly had an idea about exactly this pairing. And then saw others thinking the same way... And I have to say, I'm happy I was right. They are perfect for each other, and it couldn't be any other way. We could say, It was written in the sand since a 7 year old girl and a 13 year old solemn boy met.
What I really love about Sahara is that she's so strong and still so generous and loyal. She loves her Kaleb so much, won't give up on him, even when he would on himself.
And when he finally returned the 'L' word... The most lethal Psy in the world... Who would do literally anything for his woman... And the bracelet? How sweet is that? *melt* They are so perfect for each other.
And every time they got down to the love-making. OH, God. It was like they were starved for each other. Which they were, I guess, after so many years.
Two Psys? Ha! They were as hot for each other as any changelngs, if not more. (Earthquake scene... )


The plot: It was so good-paced and fascinating, that I haven't even noticed that my beloved characters from previous books hardly appeared. Though I loved those scenes where they actually played roles (Mercy, Faith, Vaughn..).  But gradually, it was all about the main couple. So suprisingly for me, it was more than OK. This was their book, and with all the action and skipping back in time - because this was the best ay ever to understand and see into their relationship -, and not to mention the answers to some questions...

Oh, what answers they were! I actually was more surprised about the father-son thing than the Ghost thing.  (Because I guessed it right, especially after the chat with him) But still, they were such WTH moments. 
And ahter all this, the enemy-plotting, explosions, Tatiana and everything, the end was such a HUGE step in the Psy-Changeling world. I can't wait to find out the consequences. So, Nalini, keep writing !! :)

(Sorry for my actual mistakes, and kind of voluble review)  </spoiler>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poetic Review - The Wrath by Gena Showalter

Poetic Review - Heartless by Gena Showalter

Poetic Review - Legacy of Temptation by Larissa Ione