Archangel's Enigma by Nalini Singh

It is hard for me to write about a Nalini book without being unbiased, but I can't help it. Whatever she writes, I annihilate on the spot. Whenever she has a new book coming out, I spend the weeks before the actual date super-excited.
That was the case with this story as well. I found myself fangirling during the last year, because at the end of the previous book in the series, every Guild Hunter fan knew: Naasir is next. Not to mention after the cover was revealed...
So, after so many 'WhatIsNaasir?' hashtags, we finally found out the answer. But in my opinion, we got a lot more than that in this story.
As for the main couple and their romance, I can't really say a bad word. I love how they fit perfectly together, how their often sad and tragic pasts kind of made them the best mate for each other, and their charasteristics were similar.
 "Wild and fearless and a little bad. Perfect."
 Andromeda's childhood explains why she could give the understanding, acceptance and real love that Naasir hunted for. How this complex, feral and playful creature could make his mate feel cherished the first time in her 400 years. I loved how, dispite they both are a few hundred years old, their romance had a teenage love feeling. I didn't even mind that all the hot lovemaking only took place at almost the end of the book. But trust me, it was hot. Until then, thanks to Andi's vow and the 'Stupid Grimoire', they had time to just be together like younglings in a courtship. I found it good that in this otherwise brutal and easily dark world, all the handholding, playing, stiking duologues and cuddling got pronounced and, while the reader sometimes sympathized with the couple's sexual frustration, I could appreciate these small things, too.
Without giving away anything, I can say that with the revelation of Naasir's origins, the author 'deepened' this worl: she showed us that there are a lot more to it than we have seen already. And she managed to create a species that doesn't seem to be the easy and quick answer, but a unique, new being with a carefully planned story. And that story isn't a walk in the park. The end result, this sometimes reverse person, is very intelligent and sensual, and - I wouldn't say childish - I actually found his sometimes simple, 'cause and effect' kind of thinking interesting, freshenining, amd endearing. Naasir is definitely a new favorite.
So is his mate, the warrior scholar Andromeda. This 'title' seems reverse, too, but I think the point is what Raphael stated upon meeting her - just because she chooses to wield the pen more often then the sword, she is a warrior nontheless. I really liked how she also had a little shy, innocent side, but a fierce and passionate one, too. That is  how she is a perfect match to Naasir in my eyes, and also a complex and stong, loveable heroine. Of course, there are also things in which they complement each other, how it should be.
What I still admire in Nalini's writing is that even if there are some similarities between characters, each one is a very different person. For example, if somebody reads the blurb, he or she almost thinks that Andromeda will be more like Mahiya, but in reality, no. They are very different. Almost every character had a hard, troubled past, but all of them gets through it differently.
During the couple's adventures, which always kept my heartrate a little bit up, the main plot moves along, too. I must say, I'm getting tired of Lijuan. I'm not really a fan of people who are somehow like puppet masters - standing away from the opposer, and just throwing the black 'arrow rain' from afar. All in all, Lady Lijuan, can you please die already? But I know she won't soon, because her creepiness and twisted forms just started. Also, I kind of liked seeing into Xi's POV! At first, it surprised me how we got this chance, but I found it interesting.
I loved glimpsing the other characters, too,  like Elena, Honor, Jason and the Jessamy - Galen pair. I also can't wait to see what happens when Andromeda unites with the other women. Maybe in a future shorts story? It got to my attention, and made my heart melt very much, that Naasir seemed to think of Dmitri and Honor like a father and mother. The flashbacks and some present scenes pronounced how close-knit and enviable is the group of Raphael and his Seven. It's no wonder that the other archangels remark on it, too, and often try to steal one of the seven storng immortals away from the Archangel of North America.
For me, it's alwaysys great returning to old friend and that the writer doesn't forget them: she makes us know that they live their life and make progress - actually, I was very happy to read about Jessamy and her new traveling ability. Not to mention Illium and his own progress...
Which brings me to another point in this author's genius: how a paragraph, a sentence, or a word can propose questions like what about Alexander and Caliane? Where is the Refuge exactly? What will happen to everyone's favorite Bluebell? And Raphael? Who is next? And these are just some of the many issues.
To sum this up, the 5 stars aren't in danger for this story, in which the four most frequent phrases must be: rut, silver-eyes, growl, and last but not least... stupid grimoire.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poetic Review - The Wrath by Gena Showalter

Poetic Review - Heartless by Gena Showalter

Poetic Review - Legacy of Temptation by Larissa Ione