Rock Hard by Nalini Singh

I really, really, really liked this book. As in, loved it. This is what romance  is called, with a capital R.
I always loved Nalini's work, read all her books, and now she's one of my all-time favorite writers, if not THE favorite. And this story shows that it's not only paranormal that she can write magically, but contemporary as well. I just love her writing style, how she formulates the words, creates metaphors until her sentences become almost artistic.
What I love even better in her work is the variety of multi-faceted, colorful and changeable characters. Their qualities and features are so well and specifically written that they practically leap off the page. There is something unique in all of them. So even if there are similarities between some of them, from the lot of characters that came to life by Singh, they are still distinct. Nobody is black or white, where there is bad, there is good. Where there is light, there IS darkness. The real fifty shades.
That is the case in this book as well. Inow decided I need a Gabriel. I simply adored how he was so patient and kind, but also he was incorrigibly a big, bad man. In every good sense of this phrase. He always knew what to say to  bring his Ms. Baird out of 'the bad place'. Talk about talking dirty. Thanks to it, I didn't even mind that they didn't put it to practice through a big portion of the book. All in all, he is a favorite kind of book boyfriend of mine.

"Why go for any woman but the one he wanted?"

As for Charlotte, the best thing about her was - maybe - that she didn't ever give up. She could look at her progress optimistically, even if first it seemed that everything is against her, against them. I enjoyed seeing how the mouse became - let's say - a wildish cat.

"That made him growl. 'You used to be so compliant. What happened?'
'You did.'"

I wouldn't say tigress, because there actually are room for further development, but I think it has to be this way, and I really hope we'll see her that way later, in a short story for example. What she lived thorugh was a horrific and brutal thing, which made me want to hug her all the time and root for her till happiness. Besides wanting to personally castrate Richard.
Thanks to Nalini's fantastic writing style, we could almost feel what they felt. We could feel the Bishops's uncharacterically big taste of helplessness, how it ate at him to see his woman's panic. We could feel Charlie's despair and willingness to fight to become what her love needs. It, for me, makes the story very lifelike.

" 'I'm not about to argue with Mr. Bishop.'
'You should. It's good for him.' "

So, knowing what we do about the MC, in my opinion, the pace was understandable and adequate, the plot proceeded as it should, and we got a really romantic, heart and bodywarming story, which kept us on the edge because we so wanted the couple to get there deserved HEA. When we didn't smile goofily because of a certain T-Rex, who only hides his sharp teeth for his girl, he is so smitten with her. I really could have read it in one sitting.

5 (definite) Stars!!


Copy provided by publisher through NetGalley.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poetic Review - The Wrath by Gena Showalter

Poetic Review - Heartless by Gena Showalter

Poetic Review - Legacy of Temptation by Larissa Ione